Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Sense of Belonging + A Cookbook

I belong to many writers' groups, some small and some large.  Not only do they help me learn the business, they also support me in this bloodsport also known as publishing.  Really—if I had to do this biz alone, I'd feel like a freak.

This weekend, I'm heading to the mountains with four other writer-friends (I'll call them NaMoFiBer) for our biannual writing retreat. I have a goal of 12,000 words (approx. 50 pages).  A girl can hope.

I'm also a member of several other organizations for writers, primarily learning from them online.

The Society of Children's Bookwriters and Illustrators (SCBWI) focuses on the publication of children's literature1.  I'm a member because I write Young Adult2 and want to write Middle Grade3. (Waves to Capital Eyes Critique Group.)

Romance Writers of America (RWA) is an international organization for writers of romantic fiction.  Since my novels always feature a romantic subplot, I belong to RWA as well as several of its local chapters: YARWA (Young Adult RWA) and HCRW (Heart of Carolina Romance Writers).

Finally, there are my much-beloved cyber-sisters in the Ruby-Slippered Sisterhood.  We found each other through RWA's Golden Heart Contest in 2009. Ruby Sisters live across all corners of the globe (USA, Brazil, and Australia, to name three.)  We've bonded so tightly that it's hard for me to remember sometimes that I've never met most of them in person.

And here is where I interject the cookbook.  The Rubies have jointly contributed to a group blog since Sept 2009, and now we have a group cookbook.



The cookbook is free. You can download it as an e-book from the typical places for downloading free books; check our website for details.

All of the recipes are featured (or suggested) in our novels.  In addition to the recipes, you'll find our book covers as well as excerpts from our books.  And, yes, there are a recipe and an excerpt from Whisper Falls.  So download and enjoy!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1 In the publishing biz, children's literature covers all ages from birth to 18 years old. SCBWI promotes the careers of writers and illustrators of picture books, early readers, chapter books, middle grade, and young adult. They include fiction and non-fiction.  

2 Young Adult, as an age group, is a bit hard to define. But generally, YA literature is targeted for 13- to 18-year-old readers. Because YA fiction has earned a reputation for high quality, there is large crossover appeal with adults.

3 Middle Grade, as an age group, typically includes readers between the ages of 8 and 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment